History Of Wrigley Field
Wrigley field is a baseball club stadium in Chicago that started in 1916. the stadium was built in 1914 as Weeghmann Park for the Chicago Federal League in 1920-1926 before being re-named for the club team owner and chewing gum industrialist William Wrigley Jr. (Hartel W and Smith S 12) It is located 1060 west Addison street Chicago Illinois 60613,and named as the friendly confines popularized by “Mr. club”. Since 2006 its capacity has been slightly over 41,000 making it the fourth smallest but one of the most actively used Ball Park in the country.
It has a seating capacity of 14,000 and it costed $250,000 to build . It also remains one of the oldest parks in the history of baseball. In 1909 the minor League American Association was to become a third major League. (Hartel W & Smith S 15) Weeghmann Park and The Federal League (1913-1915) Way back in 1913 it began as a minor League and was located in about six cities, which included Chicago and it was at DePaul University Grounds where it played its home games. The founder of new Federal League Mr. John. T.
Powers had ambition to build the organization into a Premier minor League, and by mid of the 1913 powers was forced to quit his job because the federal league had the potential to become a major league and was replaced by James . A. Gilmore who was a business man in Chicago. To control the Franchise Gilmore fetched on board two partners, Charles A. Weeghmann and a fish wholesaler named William Walker. Weeghmann later became the club president and Walker willing to assist in the early April –1914 Weeghmann relocated to former seminary grounds. (Hartel W & Smith S 32)
There were certain challenges that arose which included the attempt to secure rights, however in 1913 December Weeghmann successfully secured a ninety-nine year lease on the property. After two months chifeds scheduled home opener and the ceremony took place in March 4 by the Blome-sinek company, despite the strike by the construction workers the baseball was ready by April 23, 1914. The Weeghmann park was a modern steel and concrete baseball. It featured a single decked grandstand and a small area for the press. Weeghmann became the best place to watch baseball in Chicago and fans enjoyed the high standards for cleanliness.
(Hartel W & Smith S 77) Cubs baseball The cub’s baseball attracts people who love to cheer for the underdog. There is also an organized tour, which includes: cubs, clubhouse, mezzanine suites, security headquarters, bleachers and visitors clubhouse. Weeghmann Park to Cubs Park to Wrigley Field The cubs played their first game on April 20th 1916; besting the Cincinnati reds ending up with 7-6 in eleven innings it was a remarkable season, the cubs won the National league in 1918 under Fred mitchet. During the First World War it lost a lot of series to babe Ruth and Bostor Red sox in six games. (Jacob, M 10)
By 1916 Weeghmann was the principal shareholder, although investors had taken minority shares in the club. The minority investors included “chewing gum William Wrigley”. After having financial problems Weeghmann gave up his remaining interests to Wrigley and resigned and left baseball for good, then Wrigley acquired control of the cubs in 1921. (Jacob, M 10) After the resignation of Weeghmann, in 1919 the park changed its name to Cubs Park. Through this change of the park fans get frustrated, but in 1920 it marked the beginning of prohibition meaning that fans had to bring their own water to quench their thirsty in the hot summer afternoons.
In 1922, a record over 540,000 fans attended the National league to watch a fourth- place club. (Jacob, M 33) The renovations This happened in 1922-1923 for expansion and Wrigley hired original architect Zachary Taylor Daris to make the expansion on the existing structure. The left field had to expand by 100 feet northwest and the gaps were to be filled with more seating which was noticeable. The relocation of the grandstand created more space than before. The renovations increased the capacity from 18,000 to 31,000 making its dimensions to be 320 feet left and 318 rights.
The work began in December 1922 and was completed in 1923 for the next season. Changes were very noticeable that attracted fans over 703, 705 for the 1923 season. (Jacob, M 17) The bleachers were the targets for the right-handed hilters and by July late 1925 reporters frequently gripping about games lost. By this time the space was still small for the fans. For this reason they started the construction of double decking the grand stand in 1927-1928). By April only the third –base side of the upper deck had been completed. In 1927 before the start of the season Cubs Park was finally renamed Wrigley field, a historic milestone.
Despite it being half-finished the fans clocked 1 million and the Cubs became the most competitive team under manager Joe Mccarthy. (Jacob, M 17) In 1928 the upper deck was completed and in 1929 the cubs had the most potent lineups in their major league history. Time the attendance of fans was 1. 5 million and it recorded the highest for seventeen years. In 1937 Wrigley Field was renown for the Boston Ivy which was a product of Bill Reeck whose late father had been a team president. The Ivy is “cubbage” in singlets Wrigley was known for the manual scoreboard.
In 1940 it was closed to fans and it was opened during the All-star game in 1962. By 1990s the area was occupied by Juniper plants and after 2005 season the plants were removed for reconstruction,first attempts at lights was in 1942 son of the late William donated the materials for the lighting but they never installed lights until Chicago Tribune Company acquired the cubs in 1981. The lights were installed in 1989 after so many problems with the neighborhood. . (Jacob, M 17) The expansion of the bleacher was in 2005 and they added 1900 seats and in March 30, 2006 the cubs renamed the bleachers as Bud light Bleachers.
In 2007-2008 Wrigley had a new field because players considered Wrigley had a new field because players considered Wrigley to be the poorest in the major leagues. In 2008 the infield will sit lower than it did by 14 inches. The Tribune owner by the name Sam Zell to reduce the crippling debt of close to $13 billion will consider selling naming rights for Wrigley field. The park is too historic to have the name changed. The recent trend of selling corporate naming rights to sporting venues has made it famous.
(Hartel W and Smith S 23) Wrigley field is also prominent for its panoramic view of the neighborhood buildings in “Waveland and Sheffield Avenues”. It had also a cameo in the movie. The Blue Brothers in 1980) One of the most historic moments of the field is when The Federal league chifeds played their first game in April 23; 1914. The Cubs played their first game in Weeghmann Park. . (Jacob, M 17) Travel and accessibility Redline trains that stop one block from the field serve the Addison Station. A part from the rail services, the CTA provides several bus routes, parking is also scarce but this does not hinder the fans to come to the field.
The stadium has been featured on the popular Travel channel television show, proving its allure. (Hartel W and Smith S 78). The field is also used for opening scenes for example the film “The Break Up”. It charges $20 as a fee that goes to the Cubs- care as a fund that goes to Robert R Foundation. On January 4 2008 The Cubs got permission to add new signs and advertisements and it is predicted that the field will now be able hold up to 40, 198 people after adding more seats. Conclusion Wrigley Field is on one of the most famous fields in the U. S because of its rich and colorful historic background.
This popularity of the field has continued to grow to an extent that parking space is always inadequate which is not a deterrent from the enthusiastic fans. However it has continued to suffer under crippling debts that might jeopardize its own existence something that should not be let to happen.
Hartel, William and Smith, Susan: A Day at the Park: In Celebration of Wrigley Field. Coal Valley, IL: Quality Sports Publications. 1994. 12-78 Jacob, Mark. : Wrigley Field: A Celebration of the Friendly Confines. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. 2002. 3-50Sample Essay of PaperDon.com